Wednesday 15 August 2012

Cold War 02/24 - Iron Curtain 1945-1947




These are very good. I learn the occasional useful piece of information from this series on the cold war. They interview quality characters from history like John Kenneth Galbraith and General Jaruzelski in this episode. Mostly I find it useful to test my own theories and narratives. Do they stand up? Am I right about Winston. Have I misunderstood where the power lay. Do I underestimate the Soviet threat? In this way I'm constantly reformulating or tweaking the narrative of history but the overall direction still stands. 20th century wars were unnecessary and stimulated by parties other than nations or their leaders. The bankers and the financiers. The Rothschilds and the Rockefellers and so forth.

This point still stands but the complexity of the characters adds dimensions that are a little more complex, less binary and more human. In this way I'm getting value out of this series.