Friday 1 November 2013

The Real Bangkok




A little bit morbid in subject matter, but The Guardian have made an outstanding piece of film, that captures my favourite City in the world, in a gritty but elegant way.

This film of Bangkok, connects with me more than any of the bland upmarket shopping malls and consumer-lifestyle marketing images of Bangkok, that focus on superficial cosmetic beauty. 

I know many of the places where this was filmed, and understand the main character talking without the subtitles. He's in a reflective mood that isn't easy to capture on film with Thais that don't know you. It takes a little time before that unguarded talk comes out.

Yet even in it's worst light this creation is powerful filming for me and a reminder of how much I love the people and the city.

Here's my attempt to film the Bangkok I see.