Monday 4 March 2013

I'm A Child of the Seventies





I've been saying this for a long time but to have been born Generation X is one of the greatest privileges in human conciousness. Old enough to have known survivors of the First World War while they were still lucid about the experience, lived without a telephone (or even a TV on occasions), born abroad (in my case) and lived in several countries, but most importantly to have lived without electronic mediation of everything. 

It's not so much that I don't love the internet (I love how it scours down tyranny and greed and holds a mirror up to ourselves) it's just I have a reference point to a golden external period, which admittedly was a bubble; but what a bubble to live inside, however briefly

Naturally we had all the usual issues that families have including an unhappy marriage between my parents.

But there was a soundtrack to it all and it sounds just as good today as it did over the radio back then. I can barely believe that I existed to hear this emerge fresh from whatever bubble of electronics and humanity that got together in the right way.