Tuesday 17 September 2024

Get Me Roger Stone





I was always into US politics much more than the British political scene and when I got a brilliant political mentor he really raised my game such that I would smash US CEOs on post war president discussions in luxury business hotel bars. I don't care about that now, and even the left right dialectic isn't important. Nothing is permanent and so if an allegiance to a political ideology is, one day it's self destructive.


Someone highly recommended this documentary on X and so I checked it out. It's compelling and sent me back in time to my politically attentive days. I've always been positive about Roger Stone for reasons I'll leave to the end. Watching this documentary I was taken aback how dirty the political consultancy and lobbying scene was and is. I can really see how the left or liberals as they say in the US have reason to, on the surface loath political operators like Stone. In fact I have a fair amount of understanding why the left are afraid of what's going on but they are wrong and hating on them doesn't work for me. There's a lot of decent 'liberals' but the stakes are higher than political partisanship this election in the US.


One reward of this documentary was how it refreshed my memory of US political history. I also got to know some of the names I was unsure of before such as Paul Manafort. A greater understanding of Machiavellian characters and business practices emerged, and in some ways it totally revised my overall view of Roger Stone. I like Roger's flamboyance and sartorial image. He's always been a close match to my own views but this documentary appraised me of how dirty his business is and I had to think about it and how it integrates with my any beliefs I had or changes them. It's a real deeper and darker dive than I was expecting.


Disclaimer: Roger Stone Jr followed me on my first Twitter account. I wasn't sure why at the time but I have a better idea now. He's a highly professional character.