Tuesday 28 November 2023

Sarah Story - Another (Hypercolour)





I do bookmark a lot of music I listen to when I'm writing, and it's Sarah Story of BBC1D Future Dance who keeps me company on BBC Sounds most often, as well as Charlie Hedges who seems to parachute in when I'm in need of a kick me up or is that a pick me up? Also Charlie Tee (champion of D&B)  and of course the legend Pete Tong. There's a few more shout outs to go, but that will do for the time being. Wait, I must mention Arielle Free. Very important.

Here's Sarah's recently released quintessential house track . It starts as it ends with an invitational 4/4 beat to mix in as well as mix out the previous and next tracks. It's very sociable to put it mildly, and well-up for a party I feel. I hear more than a hint of banging tubular bells (and glockenspiel) action in the middle and that's a huge compliment. Sarah often plays music that hits me up, and when I track it down, it can sometimes be only a few days old as well as only a handful of plays.

There's an intimacy about enjoying music that is the opposite of famous (for now) and appreciating the person who shares it. I've learned a lot from Sarah and I'm looking forward to writing up some of the insights I've picked up from her and the rest of BBC1D team which is pretty much home for me these days and nights.