Saturday 14 January 2023

Rashômon - 1950




I used to download the top 10 or 20 movies that I thought would appeal to me by reading the year end reviews, but that hasn't happened since 2018 so I thought I'd do a catch up and I can see part of the problem. There's so much superhero globohomo dross these days. I don't watch movies for entertainment, I'm looking for films that have an impact on me. Change the way I think.

Rashomon didn't hit the spot. It's terrific photography and pared down to the minimum of actors but they weren't collectively credible. A Samurai losing a sword fight to a bandit who can barely afford to wear rags? There's quiet a few continuity errors, though these are concealed with the 4 different accounts of the narrative, but there's some honkers in there.

I'd probably watch it in a cinema if I had a couple of hours to spare but unlike everyone else in the universe the film is a bit of turkey for me.