Monday 24 June 2013

Rainer Werner Fassbinder - Berlin Alexanderplatz

 



I'm in to Rainer Werner Fassbinder's work now after spending fifteen hours watching this 1980 production. My only hope is I will get a chance to watch it again as it works unlike any other piece of art I have experienced. The two hour epilogue above is untypical of the first thirteen parts  and is a spoiler too so don't watch it unless like me you have a poor memory.

There's so much I could write about this including some very heavy synchronicity with people who I know in real life but there's an excellent review over here that if you're too impoverished to watch all of it, at least makes up for an intelligent essay by Ian Baruma. If you can't do the fifteen hours then the fifteen minutes is the least you can do to digest this wonderful piece of work.