Saturday 14 May 2011

Double Chocolate Chip (The Bill Hicks Story)


The Bill Hicks Story is double chocolate chip quality. It's actually made differently from most documentaries that patch a lot of footage together through the use of still shots and montages that bring the personal story to life in a comic book fashion or moving gif stylistics that I haven't seen done before and which I am sure I will see emulated in the future because it's that good.

The movie made me laugh out loud and shed a tear for this deeply talented and clever  man who departed too early, and in my mind, suspiciously early at barely past thirty years of age. Bill Hicks' comedy was too raw for the United States and was most appreciated in the UK. I knew he understood the psilocybin entheogen experience from his act but what I learned from his friend in this documentary is that he crossed over on one occasion into that transdimensional experience and asked of the logos. 

Who are you? 

I was blown away and its hard to explain quite why here, though I will say that the psychedelic experience effect in this movie is produced faithfully in a way that has only been achieved two times before in my experience. That is Ang Lee's Woodstock and Mitch Schultz' The Spirit Molecule. It's quite extraordinary to see film makers getting so close to conveying the 'feel' of what happens on these sacred medicines.